Weekly Prison Watch
Latest prison population figures
Week ending Friday 7 March 2014
This week there are 85,535 people in prisons and young offender institutions in England and Wales. The male prison population is 81,608 and the female prison population is 3,927.
There are 66 more people in prison than a week ago. There are 300more people in prison compared to last month and 1,030 more people compared to last year.
The child custody population for December 2013 was 1,229. The number of children in custody has fallen by 322 over the last 12 months.
There are 65 girls in custody and 51 children aged 10-14.
The current CNA level is 75,907 meaning that 9,628 men and women are being held above this level. CNA (Certified Normal Accommodation) is the prison service’s own measure of how many prisoners can be held in decent and safe accommodation.
5 most overcrowded prisons
CNA / Population
Number over CNA
% of CNA
240 / 431
709 / 1240
152 / 266
318 / 524
146 / 241
*Dorchester Prison closed in December 2013.
The most recent set of quarterly statistics, which cover the period to 30 June 2013, show that:
- 10,986 men, women and children are held on remand in prison
- 6,860 people are serving short sentences (below 12 months)
- 5,620 people are held on indeterminate IPP sentences, of whom 3,549 have passed their tariff expiry date
And that between January and March 2013:
- 26,423 people were sent to prison in total, of whom:
- 11,720 people were sent to prison to serve a short sentence (below 12 months)
Week by week prison population breakdown
Deaths in custody 2013
In 2013 there were 198 deaths in custody:
- 103 people died of natural causes
- 70 deaths were self-inflicted
- 4 homicides
- 21 deaths are yet to be classified
This update uses the most recent version of the following publications:
- Ministry of Justice prison population statistics published weekly
- Ministry of Justice youth custody data published monthly
- Ministry of Justice CNA and individual prison populations figures published monthly
- Ministry of Justice offender management statistics published quarterly.