Weekly Prison Watch
Latest prison population figures
Week ending Friday 06 December 2013
This week there are 85,429 people in prisons and young offender institutions in England and Wales. The male prison population is 81,500 and the female prison population is 3,929.
The prison population has fallen at a rate of 0.4% over the past 12 months. There are 339 fewer people in prison than a year ago. However there are 92 more people in prison than a month ago.
The child custody population for September 2013 was 1,249. The number of children in custody has fallen by 60 per cent in the last five years.
There are 59 girls in custody and 54 children aged 10-14.
The current CNA level is 76,293 meaning that 9,136 men and women are being held above this level. CNA (Certified Normal Accommodation) is the prison service’s own measure of how many prisoners can be held in decent and safe accommodation.
5 most overcrowded prisons
CNA / Population
Number over CNA
% of CNA
240 / 431
709 / 1240
152 / 266
318 / 524
146 / 241
The most recent set of quarterly statistics, which cover the period to 30 June 2013, show that:
- 10,986 men, women and children are held on remand in prison
- 6,860 people are serving short sentences (below 12 months)
- 5,620 people are held on indeterminate IPP sentences, of whom 3,549 have passed their tariff expiry date
And that between January and March 2013:
- 26,423 people were sent to prison in total, of whom:
- 11,720 people were sent to prison to serve a short sentence (below 12 months)
Week by week prison population breakdown
Deaths in custody 2013
As of 8 November 2013 there have been 163 deaths in custody:
- 92 people have died of natural causes
- 52 deaths have been classified as self-inflicted
- 1 death has been classified as apparent homicide
- 18 deaths are yet to be classified
This update uses the most recent version of the following publications:
- Ministry of Justice prison population statistics published weekly
- Ministry of Justice youth custody data published monthly
- Ministry of Justice CNA and individual prison populations figures published monthly
- Ministry of Justice offender management statistics published quarterly.