Weekly Prison Watch
Latest prison population figures
Week ending Friday 29 August 2014
This week there are 85,401 people in prisons and young offender institutions in England and Wales. The male prison population is 81,489 and the female prison population is 3,912.
There are 273 fewer people in prison than last week. There are 1,335 more people compared to this time last year.
The child custody population at the end of June 2014 was 1,104. The number of children in custody has increased by 10 since May.
There are 53 girls in custody and 53 children aged 10-14.
The current CNA level is 76,241 meaning that 9,160 men and women are being held above this level. CNA (Certified Normal Accommodation) is the prison service’s own measure of how many prisoners can be held in decent and safe accommodation.
5 most overcrowded prisons
CNA / Population
Number over CNA
% of CNA
242 / 451
403 / 701
943 / 1634
Latest quarterly figures
The most recent set of Ministry of Justice statistics show that on 31 June 2014 there were:
- 12,197 men, women and children are held on remand in prison
- 6,650 people are serving short sentences (below 12 months)
- 5,119 people are held on the now abolished indeterminate IPP sentences, of whom 3,620 (70 per cent) have passed their tariff expiry date
And that between January and March 2014:
- 26,151 people were sent to prison in total, of whom:
- 11,196 people were sent to prison to serve a short sentence (below 12 months)
Week by week prison population breakdown
Deaths in custody 2014
Between January 1 2014 and July 8 2014 there have been 99 deaths in custody of these:
- 46 people died of natural causes
- 43 deaths were self-inflicted
- 1 death was a homicide
- 9 deaths are yet to be classified
The Howard League routinely monitors all deaths in prisons. We have joined with a number of organisations to sign a letter to the Prime Minister, led by the charity Sense in Science, to raise awareness about the late registration of cause of death following a death requiring an inquest; there are still some deaths in prison dating back to 2010.
This update uses the most recent version of the following publications:
- Ministry of Justice prison population statistics published weekly
- Ministry of Justice youth custody data published monthly
- Ministry of Justice CNA and individual prison populations figures published monthly
- Ministry of Justice offender management statistics published quarterly.