Weekly Prison Watch
Latest prison population figures
Week ending Friday 5 February 2016
This week there are 85,634 people in prisons and young offender institutions in England and Wales. The male prison population is 81,814 and the female prison population is 3,820.
There are 173 more people in prison than last week, and 354 more people compared to this time last year.
The child custody population at the end of November 2015 was 991. This an decrease of 9 since the last month and a fall of 64 compared to the same point last year.
There are 37 girls in custody.
The current CNA level is 77,139 meaning that 8,495 men and women are being held above this level. CNA (Certified Normal Accommodation) is the prison service’s own measure of how many prisoners can be held in decent and safe accommodation.
5 most overcrowded prisons
CNA / Population
Number over CNA
% of CNA
175 / 380
669 / 1,126
271 / 456
943 / 1565
318 / 525
Latest quarterly figures
The most recent set of Ministry of Justice statistics show that on 30 June 2015 there were:
- 11,785 men, women and children are held on remand in prison
- 6,279 people are serving short sentences (less than 12 months)
- 4,614 people are held on the now abolished indeterminate IPP sentences, of whom 3,532 (77 per cent) have passed their tariff expiry date
And that in the 12 months ending June 2015:
- There were 101,823 first receptions into custody
- 42,464 people were sent to prison to serve a short sentence (less than 12 months)
Week by week prison population breakdown
Deaths in custody 2015
In 2015 there were 257 deaths in custody:
- 146 people died of natural causes
- 89 deaths were self-inflicted
- 8 homicides
- 14 deaths are yet to be classified
The Howard League routinely monitors all deaths in prisons. We have joined with a number of organisations to sign a letter to the Prime Minister, led by the charity Sense in Science, to raise awareness about the late registration of cause of death following a death requiring an inquest; there are still some deaths in prison dating back to 2010.
This update uses the most recent version of the following publications:
- Ministry of Justice prison population statistics published weekly
- Ministry of Justice youth custody data published monthly
- Ministry of Justice CNA and individual prison populations figures published monthly
- Ministry of Justice offender management statistics published quarterly.