Weekly Prison Watch
Latest prison population figures
Week ending Friday 21 August 2015
This week there are 85,956 people in prisons and young offender institutions in England and Wales. The male prison population is 82,012 and the female prison population is 3,944.
There are 5 more people in prison than last week, and 122 more people compared to this time last year.
The child custody population at the end of June 2015 was 986. This a fall of 3 since last month and a fall of 118 compared to last year.
There are 38 girls in custody.
The current CNA level is 77,403 meaning that 8,553 men and women are being held above this level. CNA (Certified Normal Accommodation) is the prison service’s own measure of how many prisoners can be held in decent and safe accommodation.
5 most overcrowded prisons
CNA / Population
Number over CNA
% of CNA
175 / 317
669 / 1,176
242 / 416
943 / 1,552
318 / 519
Latest quarterly figures
The most recent set of Ministry of Justice statistics show that on 30 June 2015 there were:
- 11,785 men, women and children are held on remand in prison
- 6,279 people are serving short sentences (less than 12 months)
- 4,614 people are held on the now abolished indeterminate IPP sentences, of whom 3,532 (77 per cent) have passed their tariff expiry date
And that between January and March 2015:
- There were 25,555 first receptions into custody
- 10,641 people were sent to prison to serve a short sentence (less than 12 months)
Week by week prison population breakdown
Deaths in custody 2015
In the first six months of 2015 there were 123 deaths in custody:
- 70 people died of natural causes
- 43 deaths were self-inflicted
- 5 homicides
- 5 deaths are yet to be classified
The Howard League routinely monitors all deaths in prisons. We have joined with a number of organisations to sign a letter to the Prime Minister, led by the charity Sense in Science, to raise awareness about the late registration of cause of death following a death requiring an inquest; there are still some deaths in prison dating back to 2010.
This update uses the most recent version of the following publications:
- Ministry of Justice prison population statistics published weekly
- Ministry of Justice youth custody data published monthly
- Ministry of Justice CNA and individual prison populations figures published monthly
- Ministry of Justice offender management statistics published quarterly.